Pages

11.28.2008

thankful.

thanksgiving is usually my favorite time of year. well, i think fall is my favorite season anyway, but thanksgiving is especially great. it's all the good things of christmas minus the materialism. it's the food, the family, the football, minus the frenzy. 

but for some reason, this year's was a little anti-climatic. i feel like it just came and went. don't get me wrong, i've loved being around my brothers and my mom, but somehow i missed the nostalgic memories and feelings of gratitude and warmth this year. i was okay without the nostalgia--i'm not to the point yet of remembering and being happy, and i wasn't in the mood to be sad--but i'm not okay with missing out on the gratitude.

in fact, somehow i ended up on the other end of the spectrum. it was an enjoyable day, but right before bed, i got really overwhelmed and frustrated, and made a list of all the things that make me angry. anger is such a weird emotion. i think it's okay to feel, and healthy to vent, but just a little strange since i'm not a typically angry person.

so instead of dwelling on that list, i want to come up with a list of a few things i'm thankful for...

black coffee.
sweatpants.
(especially since i'm enjoying both of those right now.)
mom.
luke and drew.
laughter.
reunions.
long-distance friends that can pick up right where we left off.
new friends in waco.
friends that are more than twice my age. 
good conversations over coffee.
God's patience with me.

i think i'll leave it there. i'm thankful.

3 comments:

Arnie Adkison said...

Hey, can I find myself in that "friends twice my age" comment?

Sarah Hardekopf said...

Things I'm thankful for:

1. You
2. Your blog

cara jane said...

arnie, of course you can be in the "friends twice my age" category. you'll be in great company there.

sarah, you're definitely in the "long-distance friends that can pick up right where we left off" category. hopefully you can be in the "reunions" category soon.