Pages

2.17.2009

lover.

"lover" by derek webb has always been a favorite, but it's on repeat in my head today. it's written as god speaking to us. the last 2 verses are especially powerful to me:

"go on and take my picture,
go on and make me up.
oh, i'll still be your defender,
and you'll be my missing son.
and i'll send out an army
just to bring you back to me.
'cause regardless of your brother's lies,
oh, you will be set free.

because i am my beloved's
and my beloved's mine.
so, you bring all your history,
and i'll bring the bread and wine.
then we'll have us a party
where all the drinks are on me.
and as surely as the rising sun,
oh, you will be set free."

i think i can relate to that prodigal son. praise god that he doesn't leave me stranded in my craziness, but comes running after me to bring me back. why? because i am his and he is mine. what?! i don't understand why, but i think he loves this unfair trade. i bring him my history and my craziness, he throws me a party. i think isaiah phrases it a little better in isaiah 61.3. god wants to give "a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit..." beautiful, huh?

as i celebrate my birthday today, i can't help but feel unbelievably and undeservedly loved. i don't think i'll ever understand "how wide and long and high and deep is the love of christ...this love that surpasses knowledge" (ephesians 3.18-19). 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like it.